Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Dark Knight does not approve...

I'm trying to write a scholarly paper here. I am doing my research, citing my sources, trying to draw logical conclusions.

The problem: there seems to be a great lack of scholarly sources on Batman.

Seriously, I'm trying to write a paper about some of the great literary creators and creations of detective fiction within the past few centuries. What are the first names that you think of when I say "detective"?

Edgar Allan Poe, Sherlock Holmes and Batman of course!

Well, maybe not, but that is what I am aiming for: to instill those names into that genre so strongly that any time anyone ever says "detective" again, you'll think of a pipe-smoking raven in a bat-cape.

But it is as if the scholarly community is against me as I do last-minute research (I procrastinated horribly on this project and I take full blame for it), since it seems as though no one believes in writing serious scholarly articles on the deep themes of Batman and his literary traditions. Gah...

No comments: