Monday, December 7, 2009

Trivial to serious...

Doing research for an English paper involving Sherlock Holmes and thinking about TV Tropes, I realized that I e enjoy reading about pop culture icons being taken seriously and the themes embodied in them being taken seriously. For example, I'm reading a great deal of history surrounding the detective genre and the cultural influences on it are amazing and thought-provoking. Why can more scholarly essays be written on things like "Avatar", Batman or zombies? Take something that fans take seriously and turn it into something the rest of the populace has to take seriously.

It makes me want to be a teacher so badly, just so I can do this in my classroom. Why is so much of our education focused on getting in certain material just by reading it and then going on? Why can't we linger on a particular work or subject and explore it in-depth? I find the history of gestures and words and books, movies and plays to be so interesting. Why does stuff like that have to be researched individually? Why can't there be in-depth classes on it outside of the obscure college? Gah... Why does most of it have to be trivia?

I now want to write essays of this kind, based on things that I really want to write and research. There are so many jumping off points in my research that I want to write about that have nothing to do with my actual paper topic. Phooey...

No comments: