Saturday, November 24, 2007

My lovely beta...

I have a beta. For those who don't know (of which there are a great number, so don't feel bad) a beta in writing is someone who informally looks over your work and edits it. It's like an editor, except they don't get paid. It is a very popular thing on Fictionpress and my writing group. (links to both to the right)

My beta is great. I am a beta for someone else and I am nowhere near as good to them as my beta is to me. I can basically point out character flaws and grammar, but they talk about the entire network of the story. I am trying to learn from them for my own betaing career, but it is difficult to live up to such high standards.

I was very fortunate. I sent out a request for a beta in my writing group and they happened to reply. They were the perfect beta for "Ocean of Tears" (of which the first draft is posted on my Fictionpress account) because before my editing spree (*hugs cleaver*) it was a complex braided storyline with 6 main characters - each with their own story to tell. They helped me realize many problems and pointed out no end of writing errors (I wrote most of it when I was younger - about two years ago - so my punctuation was not so good... I love my semi-colons) and had many suggestions as to voice, symbolism and style. Did I mention I love my beta?

And now I have begun my second draft - after much character and story slaughter. I e-mailed part of my first chapter to them, with questions as to whether or not it should be the first chapter, since it started out pretty dull and the style (written based on the character's own style, even though it is third person) was pretty choppy (I was afraid that readers would think that it reflected my usual writing style, which it does not - other characters in the story have different voices). They were brutal in denouncing it, but that is what I love about my beta. They are completely honest and tell it like it is. But they also are quick to praise my good things, in order to spare my feelings of despair in how atrocious a particular chapter might be.

Lovely, lovely, lovely... I love my beta.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*schmoogles*

Just glad I can be of some use.

I'll probably be writing you a long reply later ~ but alas work calls at the moment. Breaks are too short...