Saturday, December 15, 2007

Writing Advice, Steroids and Stress... the triple threat

To any writer out there who might be reading this, I hugely recommend the book "Stein on Writing, " by Sol Stein. It is honestly the best book on writing that I have ever read (for fiction or nonfiction) along with "Revision" by Kit Reed. These two books are absolutely fabulous. These are books that I would definitely recommend buying.

Anyway, I was listening to the radion on my way to school yesterday morning and they were talking about steroids in sports and how competitive parents can somtimes influence their kids into taking steroids.

I hate those parents that expect perfection out of their kids. Perfect grades, always winning in the twelves sports they play, talented in every thing that they might ever do. It is insane.

The suicide rate in Japan is crazy. So much is expected of them in their schools and jobs that if they fail, they feel that they have disgraced their family and sometimes they're under such stress that their kill themselves.

I don't know what the suicide rate is among kinds with perfectionist parents, but I'm sure that it is probably pretty high. I hold myself up to really high standards in school and the stress that I impose on myself is crazy. I have never been so tired doing a school year as this year. Seriously, I sleep whenever possible.

No comments: